Thursday, October 18, 2012

Vegetable Soup

Now that fall is in full swing and winter is just around the corner (I know I should bite my tongue). It is soup season. I make many kinds of homemade soups and one of favorites is, of course, Vegetable Soup. I will take a whole afternoon on a Saturday and make a canning kettle full of vegetable soup and I can whatever we dont eat for supper. I will usually can about 15 quarts of soup. Then we have it whenever we want it all winter along. Here is my recipe for it.

1 -2 large soup bones (you can buy at grocery store or butcher shop)
1 -2 large onions
salt
pepper
carrots
beets
cabbage 1 medium sized head shredded
rice
corn
potatoes
any other vegetable that you like in soup

Cook soup bones and onions in water for at least 2 hours.
Take soup bones out, scrape meat off bone and set aside.
Add carrots, potaoes, cabbage (shredded), rice, corn & beets. I usually rinse my beets off good so that my soup doesn't get so red. Also add any other vegetables that you would like in soup.
Cook this for 2 hours or until vegetables are tender. You may need to add more salt & pepper, depending on your taste. I will taste my soup as it is cooking so I can add more salt & pepper if needed.

Hot soup is ready to eat. Goes well with fresh out of the oven bread.

After soup that is leftover is cooled off, I put into quart jars. I put quart jars into pressure cooker and bring pressure cooker up to 10 pounds of pressure for 20 minutes.
And there you have fresh homemade vegetable soup all winter long.

Happy eating

1 comment:

  1. I also add tomatoes in my soup. Before I add all the vegetables I will bring rice & tomatoes to a boil then add rest of vegetables. Sorry I forgot to get that in there.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You very much for stopping by my blog. Please leave a comment so I know that you were here.