Friday, October 26, 2012

Processing Pimpkin

Going to start working on all the pumpkin I have from my garden. I always plant what is called Pie Pumpkin. They get to be 5 - 7 pounds and are very easy to handle. They contain alot less water than a traditional pumpkin and that is why I use them and they are great for all your pumpkin needs.
To do these is actually easy but time consuming. I cut the top off and then slice the pumpkin into slices. Cut the insides out (save those seed if you like roasted pumpkin seeds). Make sure that when you cut the hard outer peel off that you dont accidentially leave any on the pumpkin (this is very very bitter tasting). Cut cleaned pumpkin into cubes and put into a steamer and cook until tender. About 15 minutes. Then put in food processor and process until creamy. Then move pumpkin into a strainer and let any access water drip off. I them measure it into 2 cups and put into a ziploc freezer bag and then I put that bag into a food saver bag and seal. this will ensure that you gt no ice build up in the bag. When I know that I want to make something with pumpkin I take a bag out of freezer the day before and let unthaw in fridge.

Like I said it is easy to do but time consuming.
Look for lots and lots of pumpkin recipes coming to you. Amazing what you can do with pumpkin and my whole family loves it.

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You very much for stopping by my blog. Please leave a comment so I know that you were here.